August 12, 2007

Collectivist Indoctrination in Seattle Elementary School

This has been kicked around the blogosphere: I saw it at Dinocrat and other places I can't remember. The post title and the links give the gist; I won't recapitulate.

However, I have a small quantitative point to add. Searching the teachers' article for the word liberty yields no hits. Searching for free gives only this passage:
As children finished their drawings, we gathered for a meeting to look at the drawings together. The drawings represented a range of understandings of power: a tornado, love spilling over as hearts, forceful and fierce individuals, exclusion, cartoon superheroes, political power.

During our meeting, children gave voice to the thinking behind their drawings.

Marlowe: "If your parents say you have to eat pasta, then that's power."

Lukas: "You can say no."

Carl: "Power is ownership of something."

Drew: "Sometimes I like power and sometimes I don't. I like to be in power because I feel free. Most people like to do it, you can tell people what to do and it feels good."

Drew's comment startled us with its raw truth. He was a member of the Legotown inner circle, and had been quite resistant to acknowledging the power he held in that role. During this discussion, though, he laid his cards on the table. Would Drew's insight break open new understandings among the other members of the inner circle?
(Boldface mine.) The single free stands bracketed by multiple powers. In fact, searching for power gives 44 (forty-four) hits.

Vile.

No comments: