January 17, 2012

Scott Brown Opposes SOPA/PIPA

Here.

Okay, I'll vote for him again. Donate again? Not so sure.

And it's premature to celebrate. I'm not at all sure that the legislation is dead. The politicians are entirely capable of announcing they've fixed the problems, renaming the bill, and ramming it through; or of slipping it into a larger bill.

Afterthought. My message to Brown:
Sir:

I was pleased to read your Tweet opposing SOPA and PIPA.

I suspect that the corporate backers of these bills are engaging in rent-seeking crony capitalism. Even if one concedes that their points have merit--I do not, for Hollywood has previously worked against innovations like the VCR--, their arguments are overwhelmingly outweighed by considerations of economic growth, fair use, and human rights.

No comments: