November 27, 2009

Kimball on Retribalization

I posted the following regarding Obama's Inaugural Address:
IMO a major, essential part of American exceptionalism is the USA's unique opportunity to become a template for a modern post-tribal society.
My opinion of Obama is not nearly as favorable as it was at the time. However, my interpretation of American exceptionalism predated the speech, and I continue to maintain it.

Roger Kimball
worries that things are going in the wrong direction. I submitted this as a comment:
IMO the USA has a unique opportunity–American exceptionalism, if you will–to become a template for a modern post-tribal society. As we continue to debase our Founding ideals, the risk of failure is rising. I suspect that history would not assess our looming postmodern tribal society as a success.
*******
Newman, Aristotle, Horace and Homer, all in the opening paragraph…

Sir, it is your prerogative to define your intended audience. Nevertheless, while your sometime displays of erudition may appeal to a limited group of Pajamas readers, they also might disconnect you from a larger group that would benefit from your insights.
In case the comment doesn't appear, I'd like to record the comparison of a modern post-tribal society and a postmodern tribal society. Glib but not infelicitous, if I may say so myself.

Addendum 20071129. Kimball accepted the comment and it is here.

No comments: